Friday, August 15, 2014

Guest Post: If Gang Bangers Read Erotica by Karena Marie

I want to take a moment to welcome Karena to my blog!! A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting her through her twitter, and we came to learn that we have similar viewpoints regarding sex vs. violence. And so, I asked her if I could repost this article from her blog: The Happy Spinster. Clearly she agreed, and so here you go!:

If Gang Bangers Read Erotica

Ok, I am the child of a Hippie, so ‘Make Love Not War’ was a regular saying amongst my Mom’s friends when I was growing up. Besides, everyone has heard the saying anyways.

Today, when you watch the news, movies, video games and even reality crime shows like The First 48, there is so much unnecessary violence being shown or reported that it is easy to see how/why many people become ‘desensitized’ to violence. Although I live in Canada, where we have very strict gun laws, sometimes I feel like pulling out a gun and shooting some jerk-off that cut me off while I am out riding my bike.

I write Erotica. A lot of people are shocked and have many negative things to say about people who write it, and the subject matter. Oh My God! YES! I write about S-E-X!! How could I? I am not a serious author! Why? Because instead of the suggestion, or mild sex scenes, I write about my characters having sex in greater detail, hence that somehow makes me less of a writer? Okay, I am not going there, as people are entitled to their opinions, as I am to mine, and the topic of this post is not a debate or defend what I write, or why.

As most writers, I read a LOT. I started reading my step-mother’s Danielle Steele books when I was twelve, but after reading a couple of them, I realized I was reading the same story over and over, but the names and specific tragic circumstances changed. I enjoyed them, but became bored with the ’formula’ each book seemed to adhere to. One of the biggest reasons I now only read books from Indie writers! I LOVE the fact that the stories are original, and I cannot predict where the book is going to take me. I could go on, and will one day, in another post on why I love Indie books.

A few years ago, I was living in an area temporarily where I did not have access to a public library, and thought I would not survive! This was before I started using an eReader. Luckily, my friend's husband was also an avid reader and would buy a few books a week, and after he was done, he would pass them along to me. At first I was not thrilled, as they were 'GUY' books. Spy, espionage, government conspiracies, and retired soldiers and mercenaries being the main subjects. But, any book is better than NO book. I had always loved Jack Higgins, and there is at least ONE book I have not read, as I have read most of them, except for one where a main character is killed off, so I know I missed at least one. After a while, I was used to this 'new to me' subject matter. It is different, thrilling, exciting and I really like it. But, there is a LOT of violence! Someone recently asked me via Twitter if ‘I act out the love scenes then write them into my books?’ WHAT!? First of all, when it comes to sex, I NEVER ‘act!’ But as usual, I digress. Seriously though, do writers who blow up, stab, shoot, behead and mutilate people in their books ‘act out’ or actually ‘kill’ in real life, then write it down? I doubt it. It is called FICTION. I write about fantasies, sexual fantasies. To be a writer, one must listen to those around them. I listen a lot. Talk a lot, but I still listen too. I talk with my friends, overhear conversations, or get an inspiring thought, then take what is floating around in my mind, and write it down. I do not know where writers who write about violence get their input from. I read it, it is necessary to have people die in thrillers and mysteries, but lately it is starting to get to me. There are personal reasons for this. I am coming up to the ten year anniversaries of the violent deaths of two people who were both very, very close to me. One of them was shot with a gun in the head, twice, and he died instantly. He had a closed casket. Eight months later, another very close friend of mine, she was stabbed to death eighty-six times. Yes, eighty-six! Another closed casket. Now when I am reading a novel with stabbing or gun violence, it is getting hard for me to read through it lightly. Same with watching the news. Why is it so wrong to write about the beautiful, peaceful act of making love, or ‘Red Hot Sex,’ but it is okay to write about bloody vicious murders, and no one thinks twice about it?

I have come to a conclusion. If Gang Bangers were to stay home and read erotica, the ‘guns’ they would be holding would NOT be shooting metal bullets!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice blog indeed. I see no reason to fear well written erotica as many do. After all look back to the romanticism years, they were not shy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark!
      I agree with you. Erotica is not a passing fad, as it has been always been available to read. With the explosion of ebooks & e-readers and the privacy they allow the reader in both buying and reading, I believe that erotica will soon become more acceptable to the average reader. I think of erotica as a dessert, as those that do read it also read other genres as well; it is little bit of something 'spicy' when the moment is right! I have also noticed there is more sexual content in regular television shows lately as explicit scenes are popping up everywhere. It is another indication that this is what more people want to see, they just may not admit to it, yet!
      Kare

      Delete
  2. i like your honesty here, im allot older than you but i hate violence in any form, as you do, and being non violent is total sanity in my book

    ReplyDelete